Have you seen those cool little BlogPets that are popping up all over the place? Yup, well we wrote it, and this is the official news site. Come and check out whats new, things we're working on and (of course) let us know what you think!

Monday, April 4

Questions answered, bugs fixed

Hi again bloggers! I come bearing more great news and gifts from the developers of BlogPet, and once again I'd like to answer some of your questions that we've received by comments and e-mail.

First of all we were aware of the "no pet" problem that affected almost all of our users. This has now been fixed and we apologise to everyone for the problems it caused. We're still not sure what caused the problem, but the system that generated it has been removed so it won't happen again.

Now onto version 2 (cleverly named "V2" - creative eh?). We're still a long way from having a final tested V2 ready for you guys to use, but we're getting closer by the day. I've stepped back from development for a few weeks because I've just moved house and I'm getting a bit desperate for a job, so that takes priority (sorry!). I should be back on the case again in a few more weeks, but in the meantime the other coders are working hard to keep the project on track.

And now to shed some light on the fantastic work the developers have been doing so far on V2, and to answer some of your V1 questions.

Are you still in business?!
We sure are! Sorry I've been so quiet on this blog, what with juggling the development and house move and job hunting, I've been a little short on time. Crap excuse I know :)

You're so behind schedule!
Tell us about it :( It is a big project and the more we develop it, the more work we keep making for ourselves! Keep in mind the longer the wait, the better V2 will be. I know it sucks but please wait a little longer. We're so close!

Flickering text in some browsers?
We're aware of this bug in Firefox and some browsers on Apple/Linux platforms. Unfortunately it is a side effect of using the "text update" method we use to make your pet talk. This won't be fixed in V1 but we are working on an improvement for V2.

Will V2 have moods for our pets?
It sure will! V1 is designed to follow your moods when you post to your blog but the AI isn't as clever as it should be (some people say the pet never changes its mood at all). V2 will not only use your moods when you post, but choose its own mood and respond accordingly.

What about changing the personality of our pets?
That's a great idea! I mailed one of our developers and he replied "Why didn't you think of that? Or rather, why didn't you think of that before I started coding?!" Hehe that's my fault, but he's working on it for V2 :)

Can we have X in the list of pets?
We won't know until the artwork starts coming through, but thank you all for your suggestions. Keep them coming in! So far we have cats, dogs, bunnies, ferrets, monkeys, wombats, parrots and birds, fish and rats.

What about a developers kit?
That is a really great idea, and we really didn't think about it before. Making a pet is no easy task though, it involves a lot of artwork and programming. We would either need to make a simple interface for "hardcore users" to program directly, or some form of user interface so everyone can have a go. This won't be in the initial release of V2, but rest assured you've got our imaginations running riot.

BlogPet shows my name wrong?
This is a major problem. We designed V1 so it could be installed by simply copying & pasting code, and instead of you having to fill out a lengthy registration form, it tried to autodetect your name, XML feed and other information. This didn't always work (especially on blogging tools other than Blogger) and has caused numerous problems.

Now in V2 we would like to have some more advanced options, but this means before you can install BlogPet you will need to create an account on our web site. What are your opinions? It means you can change all the settings you like, but makes the signup process a little bit harder. Unfortunately it would be impossible to run both at the same time, so we need to pick one. Let us know what you think.

Final words
Thanks to everyone who has commented so far. Please keep them coming in! Everyone who has made a contribution to V2 will be mentioned on the web site when it is released. We really appreciate your support.

12 Comments:

Blogger espritgirl24 said...

Awesome update! I actually took down my pet, since the double box fiasco, but now that it's back to normal I'll definitely have the cat back.

I'm really excited about the upcoming changes, like the variety of moods, and I have no problem waiting longer for better quality. :) Also, I have no problem registering for an account if it means that my cute pet becomes more interactive.

April 4, 2005 at 7:33 PM

 
Blogger Thurston said...

Registering is no problem. I'm no advanced coder, but I do know some basics. Wouldn't it be possible to set PHP parameters for name, mood, etc for the template? This would make it easier for non-Blogger users.

Anyway, I'd love a range of pets. But have ducks been suggested?

April 7, 2005 at 8:21 AM

 
Blogger ClaudBLOG said...

What a great concept. Great job! Just placed a pet in my blog...It almost makes up for the fact that I'm not allowed to keep a pet in my apt bldg...minus the cleaning up.

April 7, 2005 at 8:16 PM

 
Blogger TheSeer said...

but it every hit, it should filter out results from ip's that have previously been in the last X hours... and also of all the pets i've seen.. they all say the same thing... X visitors, drive to fast, owner needs to cheer up and the no change here one..

April 8, 2005 at 11:18 AM

 
Blogger Talking Tina said...

Ilove my Pet its a cat. I just installed and it was a snap to do. Great Job. You boys have a gold mine here and don't realize it yet. Could be a wholehot selling tool. please post to my blog any new versions and if your an IPO so i can buy tons of your stock.

April 15, 2005 at 7:26 AM

 
Blogger Irene said...

Good stuff, and I'm looking forward to V2! I'll throw in a vote for a blogger dragon, but that's probably just me :-).

April 16, 2005 at 8:47 PM

 
Blogger Carl said...

I love the concept of these blog pets... I am rooting big time for you guys to pull it off. I personally wouldn't mind seeing a form to fill out before installation. I would like to customize my pet... I wonder if you could tie the pet into a WeatherPixie type deal where it can respond to weather in your time zone?

April 18, 2005 at 3:27 PM

 
Blogger Bookmonster said...

I'd have no problem registering :)

Please add my vote in for a butterfly...

April 20, 2005 at 2:20 PM

 
Blogger Ashar Edith said...

I like Carl's idea if tieing my pet to WeatherPixie... so it responds to weather....

I SO love my cat, I wrote a poem for it in my Blog!

BUT I have a question... My cat is a he or a she... ?!?

SO waiting for V2... Love you guys!

April 25, 2005 at 2:06 PM

 
Blogger Way Wrong said...

Hi. Really like the cat, but like to have more choice to choose from. Being a chinese, would like to suggest having different animals of the chinese zodiac. If u need help on what the animals are, drop me a msg.

April 27, 2005 at 2:09 PM

 
Blogger jonny-no-stars said...

PENGUINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and can I have multiple pets who will talk to each other and feed each other when I'm on hols?

May 4, 2005 at 11:52 PM

 
Blogger WDM Info Services said...

I like your blog, I found it looking for blog host. Could you add it to my favourite blog directory please. It has lots of blogs relating to blog host

October 30, 2005 at 2:19 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home